Friday, August 30, 2013

Check Us Out: A Librarian Linkup!

This has been an exciting week on this little blog! I participated in two linkups, hit my 1 year blog-i-versary, and am now co-hosting my first linkup! Whew!

Since it's back to school time for nearly everyone, it seemed like the perfect time to showcase fashionable librarians, library degree holders, and anyone who just likes libraries in general!

The first submission comes from Christina at Simple Easy Style who describes herself as a "crazy cat lady" and "meticulous organizer," which are things that most of us librarians/library degree holders have been called a time or two! Christina shows how you can make a fancy piece a little more wearable by mixing in an everyday piece like a denim jacket.


Hmm, I've got a dress in mind that would work well for mixing fancy and casual. Thanks for the idea!


The second submission is Erin from Loop Looks. Here's what she had to say about her back to school style:

"I'm Erin and although I have my Master's of Library Science I don't work in a traditional librarian role. I'm the director of records management at a private university in Chicago. The office I work for has what I would call a slightly elevated business casual dress code with the occasional "suit day" thrown in. Which is why my blog, Loop Looks (looplooks.net), focuses on how to dress for the office without feeling boring. Bright colors and fun patterns paired with traditional tailored pieces are just one of the ways I do that."

navy_blazer_polka_dot_shirt_pink_skirt 006 edit

I love this outfit and want to steal it from you! Nashville isn't that far from Chicago, right? =)


Next up is Jess from Animated Cardigan (who just got a promotion! Exciting!!)


interview

Be sure to check out her post today about librarians and clothing (especially since she has the greatest black dress ever...it has pockets! Pockets!!).


For co-host Shelley from Miss Lady Librarian, the challenge was to outfit herself for an autumnal back to school link up right when the temperatures soared to over 90 degrees for only the second or third time during the summer (right there with ya, Shelley!). Her solution: deep colors, textures, and bare skin.  

Shelley

These just happen to be my university's colors! Love the summer pieces in the fall tones!


Co-host Jen from Librarian for Life and Style used some transition-to-fall tricks for her outfit:
"Layering and belting a linen blazer over a tank top feels more professional -- but still bearable if you live in a hot weather locale. The same goes for open-toed wedges, but the tortoiseshell pattern feels more fall, as does the overall color palette of tan, brown, and navy."


jsbBacktoSchool-1

Such a cute and easy professional outfit! Check out the mural behind her too, which is on the wall at a local day school. Her section says "dreams." Wouldn't that be so inspiring to see on your school every day? 


The final submission is from yours truly! Like Shelley, I'm currently experiencing summer temperatures during a time when everyone wants to start thinking about fall (someone on my Instagram feed was drinking a Pumpkin Spice Latte, for crying out loud!). I took a relatively casual summer outfit- a tank top, maxi skirt, and sandals- and made it more professional and fall-ish with the addition of a 3/4 sleeve blazer. I won't lie; I was still warmer in this than I wanted to be, but it'll be a nice outfit to repeat in mid-September, especially with a colorful tank top!

Check Us Out Linkup Submission!

I don't know what's up with my snarky face here either! =)

Thank you to everyone who has submitted looks so far. I've gotten a lot of great ideas for remixing things that I already own! Special thanks to my two co-hosts, Shelley and Jen, for your support while I hammered out the details, the ideas you had, and helping spread the word. This was just a random idea I had in July, and I'm really excited to see it come to fruition!

Now, it's your turn! Submit your back-to-school look using the linkup tool below. This is my first time using it, so if anyone has any problems with it, please email me. I'm leaving it open through the weekend so get those looks in and have a great Friday!


8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the invite. It's so fun to see how different librarians dress. Love the mix of business and eclectic. Your maxi is perfect. I've been trying to find a striped one for a while now, just love the flexibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thanks for participating! It is fun to see the variety and get ideas for outfits! Do you have a Burke's Outlet where you are? We have 2 in my area now, and that store is great for finding trendy pieces at decent prices.

      Delete
  2. Yay for librarian style! :D Such a fun link-up -- thanks so much for asking me to co-host! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a fun link-up! You're welcome, and thanks for participating (and helping me with those thousand little details!). =)

      Delete
  3. I love seeing how other library folks are playing with style! I have to admit I DO wear pencil skirts and a bun sometimes (but then, I always did) but it's nice to get inspiration for some variety, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wearing a pencil skirt and glasses today, so I've got 2 stereotypes going on! I loved seeing everyone's contributions also! What kind of librarian are you?

      Delete