Friday, June 20, 2014

Tiny Closet Challenge: Thoughts at the halfway point

Tomorrow marks the halfway point of the Tiny Closet Challenge. I'll confess- on Wednesday night as we were going to sleep, I told my husband that I didn't think I was going to do this anymore, I was sick of not getting to wear all of my clothes, shoes, and jewelry, I didn't like repeating outfits, etc. However, I woke up yesterday morning feeling rundown, so I might have been whining because I didn't feel well.

This challenge isn't easy, and sometimes it isn't fun. I'm continuing to swap things, make tweaks, and bend the rules. But, I am sticking to the spirit and heart of the challenge. I've never stuck with a remixing challenge this long either! I don't know that I'll want to do one again...well, maybe during the cold weather months just to see if it's easier or more difficult.

The challenge is teaching me a lot about my style. I'm finding that I have too many things that don't really go together. I need a more cohesive style, rather than one that's made up of clearance rack buys and thrift store finds. I also like a lot of variety. I know that people say that no one notices if you wear the same things over and over again, but I notice when people do! I can't help but be paranoid that my coworkers are going to notice. I know that's silly, and maybe I'll break through that mental hurdle as the challenge continues.

I'm also finding out a lot about what I do and don't like to wear. I don't really like above-the-knee dresses unless I'm wearing them with leggings or tights. I don't really think I like shorts either. Or sandals either...wow...what am I going to wear for the rest of summer? This is helping me redefine professional work style also. There was an outfit that I wore this week that seemed completely unprofessional. I tried to justify it because we're in the summer semester and a little more laid back (plus, it's hot in my office), but I really shouldn't have worn it to work.

Overall, the challenge is making me more organized. I like having a small selection to choose from and not feeling overwhelmed in the mornings. I also want to explore minimalism more. I've always been a bit of a hoarder, so this small peek into minimalism has given me an idea of how much simpler things could be.

And let's not forget how much less I'm doing laundry. If that doesn't inspire me to keep going, then I don't know what will!

I'll have a wrap up of this week's outfits and the latest tweaks early next week. Have a great weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment